Thank you, District 7, for electing me to serve as your representative.
I have developed a PowerPoint on "Working with your Legislator," and will be glad to present it to your community group.
I hope you will continue to email me or call me with your questions, concerns, or suggestions. Several of my constituents have had suggestions that ended up in legislation, so don't be shy about sharing your thoughts.
The 2016 legislative session starts on Monday, February 8th. We will be at the Jonah building on Pershing for the next several years while the Capitol is renovated.
The main reasons for the renovation project are:
- Add fire suppression system to the Capitol
- Improve the emergency evacuation routes
- Bring the building up to ADA compliance
- Update HVAC and electrical systems
- Bring plumbing up to code
- Make committee rooms larger so more than 20 members of the public can fit in each room
- Repair exterior masonry (some is 125 years old)
- Replace central utility plant that serves 5 buildings
- Bring Herschler Building up to code and ADA requirements
- Replace aging infrastructure in Herschler (current annual maintenance costs of $150,000)
- Resolve condensation and leakage in Herschler walls and windows
- Reduce costs for leasing space from the private sector (This one is more controversial, because landlords like the income and don't want the State to own office space--I'd be glad to hear your comments)